A Shoemaker's Blog
Shoe Shine Weekend: 20min shoe care routine
Found a pair of burgundy tassel loafers by Herring Shoes in storage. These were pretty dusty but in otherwise good condition. Quick check for mould and did not find any so it was a pretty straight forward clean and polish session.
Tassel loafers are a casual style so I chose to leave these as a soft shine with a natural luster.
Goodyear welted shoes such as these usually use good quality materials which if cared for properly, develops a nice patina over time.
Tip: Using black/navy polish on burgundy leather really helps to bring out the contrast in the leather.
20 min Shoe Shine Process
1) Brush off any dirt with a horsehair brush
2) Apply conditioner/cleaner thoroughly throughout entire shoe with a clean cotton cloth
2.5) Quick buff with horsehair buff to evenly distribute oils in the conditioner
3) Apply colour cream polish in thin even coats
4) Let rest for 5min and buff with horse hair brush followed by a cotton cloth to remove excess polish
5) Final buff with a goat hair brush to bring out a natural sheen